Temporary and Partial Crowns in Kansas City (onlays)
Here are some important guidelines following a temporary crown or partial crown (onlay):
Request an appointment
- Avoid chewing until anesthetic numbness has worn off.
- Avoid eating hard or sticky foods on the side that has the temporary crown.
- Do not floss as you may accidentally dislodge the temporary crown.
- If the temporary crown comes off, you may try to replace it onto the tooth. As a general rule, the taller side of a crown is positioned toward the cheek. If you can get the crown in the proper position, the moisture inside your mouth with usually hold the crown in place until we can see you. If you wish, you may use a denture adhesive, such as Poligrip to help hold the crown in place until we can see you for recementation. If you are concerned about sleeping with an insecure crown, you may remove it. Please replace it once you are awake. The temporary crown not only protects the prepared tooth, but also helps hold surrounding teeth in their proper position. It is very important to keep temporary crowns on until the permanent crown is ready to be placed. Otherwise, it might prevent the permanent crown from going into place and fitting properly.
- Temporary crowns can sometimes be sensitive to biting and temperature. If you find this happening, try to avoid biting and moderate food and drink temperatures.
- Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) as directed.
- Please call us at 816-221-8686 with any additional questions or concerns.
Patients are saying
I came to Dr. Bruso’s office with a broken tooth in back. It felt jagged because part of an old filling was still there.
Dr. Bruso told me that there was enough good tooth left that he could put a partial crown in place. Great result. Very thankful.
-Lane, North Kansas City
I had old crowns on my front teeth that never looked right. They had a dark color around the gum line. Dr. Bruso told me that this grey color was due to the metal underneath them. I was thrilled to get new porcelain crowns that matched my natural tooth color. They look so much better that I can’t believe it!
-Suzanne, Lee’s Summit
I had several large silver fillings from my childhood that had worn out. Dr. Bruso replaced the fillings with tooth colored porcelain crowns. They look and function so much better!
-Anne, Mission Hills
I fell on the ice last winter and broke half of my front tooth. Dr. Bruso was able repair it with a porcelain veneer. Now it looks like nothing ever happened. Thank you!
After years of grinding, my teeth were very short and worn. Dr. Bruso placed veneers and was able to restore my teeth to their original appearance. I’m very excited about my new smile!
-Nancy, Mission Hills
I never liked the color or spaces between my front teeth. My new veneers look natural and I’m so happy that Dr. Bruso suggested this option.
-Jerry (Kansas City)
When I was born, two of my adult teeth never came in. After wearing a retainer for 12 years, Dr. Bruso placed two dental implants and restored them with crowns. I finally have teeth that look and perform like normal.
-Paige, Kansas City
Dr. Bruso placed two dental implants to help stabilize my partial denture. Finally, I can chew again!
-John, Kansas City
At age 88, I traveled to downtown Kansas City from Wichita to get six implants and five crowns. I was amazed at how smoothly everything went. Loved Dr. Bruso’s team as well.
Fast, easy and invisible. Very simple to straighten my teeth with Invisalign! Love, love, love my new smile!
-Molly, Kansas City
Thank you for helping me get my teeth straightened quickly in the year before my wedding!
-Megan, Kansas City